Sunday, November 15, 2009

The "Core" of a move

Sup everyone it's me, back again to hit you up with whatever's in my mind.

First of all, WELCOME BACK, MARZIPAN & ZHIMING!

and I wanna share this video with all of you...
to me, it's one of the greatest locking showcases (and it was supposed to be a judge move) EVER.

Lockin' Khan from Korea.

So now, to the main story!

I was having a long talk with Marzipan yesterday, together with Rachel (AKA Chio), Alex (Poppin' AC), Kie Loong, Keiths, and I can't really remember who else.

Marzipan was sharing with us about his experience in Korea, and I started bombing him questions like "who did you learn from" / "where did you go" / "what did so-and-so say" / "teach me!" / "show me!" and stuff like that.

Personally I got inspired by Marzipan's rendition of what he picked up from Zero, but the thing that stuck in my head was when he was talking about the "Hard Training" he had with, I think, Crazy Kyo. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

There was this part about a "flow of foundations" and it really struck me hard. Basically it was about knowing your foundation moves, and then understanding your foundation and realising that there is a "core" for every move.

I'll use a move that everyone will be familiar with for an example.
the "RUNNING MAN".

If you don't know what the running man is... then time for you to do some research.
hahah. so basically the "core" of the Running Man is the leg action of looking like you're striding / running on the spot. That's the "core". It means you can freely variate your arms, your head, your upper torso, and you can even variate the timing or number of steps of your legs.

In another sense, you're kinda "creating" a new move out of the original Running Man.

What about you? What about the foundation moves that you know?
Do you understand the "core" of your foundation moves?

I'll be real honest and upfront here.
I've been dancing for 9 years now.
And no, I don't fully understand all of the foundation moves I've picked up. Not even popping, and definitely not hip hop. I know my basics, I know my foundations, but I don't truly understand them.

Back to the lab.
Care to join me, anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home