Friday, December 25, 2009

Spotlight: KS

Hey guys...haven't been appearing here for a very long time...

Was busy with my common tests earlier on in November and now I'm late for my article submission... *Marc pointing fingers at me*
But that's not the point. So let's carry on.

So yea from the title as stated above, we're going to talk about ME.
Reason being: I'm not good at analysing people, neither do I know much background information about internationally-reknowned dancers, nor have the ability to comment much about them.

Okay? Cool.


So...I started dancing during 2006, and I started with Hip Hop. (Yea I think most people started from hip hop too) Then attempted a little bit of jazz here and there and failed. Then I started taking popping classes because my friend showed me a video of U-Min's performance in 2006 (the one where they used beatronic and the musical box song) Then I took locking classes also because Michael was teaching locking too.

I believe that nobody at the age of 15 would have thought that he/she would be able to achieve any accomplishment in the Singapore dance scene. At that time, I was just wanting to be able to dance better, train techniques so that I will be a stronger dancer, and be able to do better choreographies. But a state of circumstances has changed me into a very different person from before. And I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of those who have watched me grown from a young boy to a not-so-young boy, forcing me to do all the shit and stuff so that what-dosen't-kill-me-makes-me-stronger. Thank you for your help. HAHAHA.

Ok back to the topic. Here's two videos of me that I have:







The Locking video was 1 year ago, before Floor The Love 2008. I was training with Jin then. I remember that day I took Yuu's class (Hilty and Bosch) because they came down to judge for KO Night 08.

The Popping video was earlier on this year, right before I went for Taiwan to join MAx Party 6. It should be around late March this year.


Locking:
Moves in general is quite sloppy.
Form is not very strong.
Techniques could have been better.
Transition from moves to moves were quite okay.
Direction orientation could be clearer.
Intensity is constant throughout the freestyle.
Actually, it's quite a torture to watch my own video again D:

Popping:
Flow was pretty good, transition of moves was executed quite well
Form was not very stable.
Pops were okay, not too bad.
Intensity of pops could have been variated to create a different presentation.
Moves was quite constant and repetitive, and sloppy at some parts.
Levels was okay, but most of the time facing the front; lack of dimensions.

This was 40% of what I was able to do at that period of time. Personally I felt that my Popping was affected because I had been training 3 months for the locking item performance for Taiwan's Max Party 6 without touching popping.




But then again, when you improve in one genre, chances are that your other genres are going to be affected. When I started locking, people were commenting that my locking had some popping angles. Maybe that was really the truth, maybe it awas partially because they were used to seeing me do popping so naturally they'd see it from a popping point of view. But thankfully I think I've managed to balance these two genres quite well for now. I think.

To me, advising people how to dance is akin to teaching your newborn baby how to walk, talk, ride a bike and stuff like that. In the past, I would always ask my mentors and seniors how to exactly improve in dance, techniques-wise, flow, and rhythm. But slowly and gradually, as I learn more about dance, I understand that asking for advice may not necessarily be the best method to help you grow as a stronger dancer. The best way in my opinion, is to learn how to see and comment on your own freestyle. It's the same logic as you spending hours reading your exam notes trying to figure out the concept, but when you get the concept, it really goes into your brain. It's better than just asking your friends for help, and trying to smoke through the exam papers. At the end of the day, you will forget all these important knowledge that you did not make an effort to read, understand and apply.

Not gonna talk too much here. Remember, realise it yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home